Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cinnamon Almond Granola


I love granola, and when I realized how easy it is to make, it became a regular part of my diet.

Crunchy and rich, full of wholesome ingredients, this granola is a great addition to yogurt - or skip the yogurt and eat it plain.  It's yummy on top of spiced applesauce bread or with fresh fruit for an added crunch.

The best part is that you can easily personalize this to fit your family's tastes.

This is how I make ours:

Ingredients:

  • 5 1/2 c. oats
  • 1/2 c. sliced almonds
  • 1/2 c. sunflower kernels, roasted
  • 1/2 c. coconut
  • 1/2 c. melted butter
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1 t. almond or vanilla extract
This granola is super simple to make, and you can even get other things done while it bakes!  All you do is:
  1. Stir together the dry ingredients.  (Use whatever you like, just be sure to have a total of 7 c. of dried stuff, nothing melty.)
  2. Stir together the melted butter, honey, cinnamon, and almond extract.
  3. Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients - and then stir and stir some more until it has all been soaked up and mixed well.
  4. Spread out on two large baking sheets, spreading as evenly and as thinly as possible.
  5. Bake at 200 degrees F for 20 minutes, then stir and redistribute.
  6. Repeat twice more until mixture just barely begins to brown.  If the mixture is layered more thickly on the pans, it may take more than an hour until the proper toasting can occur.
  7. Allow the mixture to cool completely, and then store in an airtight container for up to two weeks - but mine never lasts that long.
Enjoy!



11 comments:

  1. Love this recipe, nice and healthy, my family loves granola, I will be trying this recipe. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I am pinning this to try and would love for you to link up to our party going on now! http://herestohandyandy.blogspot.com/2012/02/pinteresting-link-party-week-25.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely stop by. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. Thanks, I've been looking for a recipe like this. I am going to make it today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! This sounds delish! I've never made my own granola, I'll start here with your's! Hearts & Hugs, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's fun to make - and I love being able to personalize it and make it just the way I want it. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love the addition of the almond extract... great idea! one idea for you... I have recently tried swapping out the honey for molasses (mostly because I had a big jar of it and needed to use it up) but it tends to 'clump' the granola together better than honey (if you like that) and it has iron in it. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I'll have to try that - I love molasses. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I love granola, too. And you're right, it is so super easy. Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday.

    ReplyDelete