"These muffins are better than those you'd buy at a fancy bakery."
That's what a friend told me after I asked if she'd like to try one of the muffins I made for this month's blueberry muffin cooking challenge. I decided to do something a little different and asked a few people to try them and give me their opinions. The general consensus: if you like real blueberries, these muffins are for you.
I found this recipe over at A Cook's Quest. I'll definitely be checkout out her other recipes.
So if you want a bakery-made blueberry muffin with a great texture without the high price. head for your kitchen and make a batch of these.
To make your own better-than-the-bakery muffins at home, you'll need:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 c. + 1 t. sugar
- 1 T. water
- 2 1/2 c. white-wheat flour
- 2 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 T butter
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 2 t. vanilla
- 3 T. sugar
- 3 T. brown sugar
- 1/3 c. flour
- 5 T. melted butter
To make these muffins most efficiently, be sure to follow these steps in order!
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 c. berries, 1 t. sugar, and water to a simmer. Cook and mash with a potato masher until reduced by half. Cool while you mix batter.
- Melt butter for batter and allow to cool a bit.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
- Stir together eggs and sugar in a medium bowl. Slowly stir in butter.
- To the wet ingredients, add buttermilk and vanilla.
- Fold wet ingredients and blueberries into dry ingredients.
- Place a heaping spoonful of batter into prepared muffin tins (I used paper liners). Batter should completely fill muffin cups.
- Place a small spoonful of cooked blueberries into the center of the batter in each cup and swirl slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To make streusel topping, mix all ingredients together. (I needed to add extra flour and brown sugar to get a good crumbly consistency.)
- Sprinkle streusel over the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until firm.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!
Thanks for the fabulous muffins, A Cook's Quest!