Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Homemade Honey Strawberry Jelly

When I was a kid my mom made strawberry jelly every year.  It was the BEST!  I ate it for lunch in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day and never wanted anything else.

My Little Man is just like me.  He's happy eating that exact same sandwich with no plans to change in the foreseeable future.

I now make the jelly each spring, and I love doing it.  With some family health issues now having come to light, like diabetes and heart issues, I try to keep our sugar intake to a minimum.  Old-fashioned strawberry jelly just doesn't fall into that category.

For a few years now I've been playing with it, trying to find a recipe that has that yummy strawberry flavor and still tastes good.

I think I've found it.

I'll be honest, though - while my kids love this version, and I think it tastes good, the full-sugar one is still better.  It's sweeter and more decadent, and it would be my choice every time - if I wasn't worried about the sugar content.

The flavor of the honey shines through in this version, so be sure to use a mild, light honey.  We used clover honey in ours, and it gives this jelly a rich, summery flavor.  It's great on biscuits!

Here's how to make it:

Ingredients:

  • 6 c. pureed strawberries
  • 1 1/2 clover honey
  • 1 T. butter
  • 3 T. Ball light-sugar pectin
To make your jelly:
  1. Pour the strawberries into a dutch oven.
  2. Over high heat, add the honey, butter, and pectin, stirring vigorously.
  3. Continue stirring slowly to prevent scorching.
  4. When mixture comes to a rolling boil, stop stirring.
  5. Allow to boil for 2 minutes.
  6. Remove from heat immediately and pour into jars.
  7. Allow to cool.
  8. Add lids.  Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or the in the freezer.
Do you make jelly?  What's your favorite kind??

No comments:

Post a Comment