It feels like forever since I've been able to share a recipe, so I'm especially happy to share this one. This simple salad reminds me of home - of the kinds of yummy salads you'll find in a Pennsylvania pub.
When I first started trying to eat healthier, I always looked at the salad menu cautiously. There were lots of things listed that I didn't like, but how can you go wrong when your salad has French fries on top?
This particular salad is one of my favorites. With only a few ingredients, it's full of bold and simple flavors. You won't leave the table hungry, but there's lots of nutrition hidden under those few fries.
Here's how to make it:
- 1-2 heads of romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 lb. of chicken tenders
- your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1/2 c. of shredded monterey jack cheese
- a handful of carrots
- 1 tomato, diced
- Oreida crispy French fries
- honey mustard salad dressing
- 1/2 c. prepared bacon crumbles (I bake bacon ahead, crumble it, and keep it in my freezer for these types of recipes.)
- sliced onion (optional)
- Grill the chicken tenders. Coat with your favorite barbecue sauce just before they're done.
- Bake French fries according to package directions. Add crumbled bacon to the fries during the last 5 minutes of baking time.
- Arrange romaine lettuce on plates.
- Top with carrots and onions.
- Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes after removing from heat. Slice into strips.
- Arrange the chicken slices on top of the lettuce beds.
- Top with fries, bacon, and tomatoes.
- Serve with honey mustard dressing and fresh fruit slices.
- Serves four.
What's your favorite kind of salad??