Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

I saw a recipe on Pinterest the other day that fascinated me.  A Pumpkin Snickerdoodle.  We love pumpkin around here, and I can't keep snickerdoodles in the house no matter how hard I try - so this seemed like the perfect recipe to bake, especially with all the fresh pumpkin we currently have.

But when I read the actual recipe, I was disappointed with some of the ingredients.

For a recipe that included pumpkin, it called for lots of butter - and big amounts of multiple sugars, too.  So I decided to play with this recipe a bit and see if I couldn't make it a bit healthier.  I reduced the amount of butter, simplified and reduced the sugars, and swapped out the white flour for white wheat.  Oh, and the pumpkin?  I added more of that good stuff.


In the end, we got soft, old-fashioned snickerdoodles with a spicy, fall finish on the outside that are much better for us.

I can't keep this pumpkin version in the house, either.

I think they were a hit.

Here's how to make your own Pumpkin Snickerdoodles.

Dough Ingredients:

  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 3/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1 c. pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 2 t. vanilla extract
  • 3 3/4 c. white-wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
Spice Ingredients:

  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 t. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. ground ginger
Directions:
  1. Cream butter and sugar.  
  2. Add egg and vanilla extract.  Stir until shiny.
  3. Add pumpkin puree.
  4. In a medium-sized bowl, combine all dry ingredients.  
  5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly.
  6. Chill dough for 45 - 60 minutes.
  7. Combine spice ingredients in a small bowl.
  8. Roll dough into balls.
  9. Coat the dough balls with the spice mixture.  Place on cookie sheets.
  10. Flatten each dough ball with the bottom of a glass.
  11. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes.
  12. Remove from tray and cool.
These cookies are great with a glass of milk or on a pretty platter shared with friends - and those spices make your house smell great while the cookies are baking!

What is your favorite kind of cookie?

No comments:

Post a Comment