Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Miracle of Rocks



My son is never bored.  You can usually find him stretched out on the floor somewhere, setting up a worksite with his construction vehicles, or in his sister's room lining up dozens of Matchbox cars into a race of epic proportions.  If that fails, he's curled up with an animal or Bible book somewhere, carefully turning pages and studying the pictures.

His favorite place to be, though, is outside.  Not just any old place outside - not in the yard, not at the play set, not out back by the creek; he prefers to be right at the edge of the driveway and the carport, plastic shovel in hand, buckets lined up all around him, plastic dump trucks with beds uplifted - shoveling rocks.

Yep, my son likes to shovel rocks.

He's absolutely never bored.  He's that creative.  He can create an entire construction site with a few rocks and a beach shovel.  He drags along his street sweeper to clear a 'road,' then digs up another section and builds buildings.  Race tracks come with grand sweeps of his rake, and soon he's completely ensconced in a vehicular world of his own making.



My son reminds me of a simpler time, a time when it was safe to send your kids outside on their own, when toys didn't have to be hardwired into plastic boxes  or stored behind clerk's registers.  He has a few electronic gadgets, but in the end, the rocks always win.

So, today, I'm thankful for the little things.  I'm thankful for rocks.  I'm thankful that we have a gravel driveway and not a paved or concrete one, because then my son would never know the joy of finding his own worms or of building racetracks and mud pits every afternoon.  I'm thankful that he is drawn to God's building blocks like a moth to a flame.

Rocks.  Never thought I'd think about them as anything more than a muddy, inconvenient mess in the driveway ... but I'm happy to see a bit of God's creation through Luke's eyes.

Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment