Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Thursday, March 10, 2011

She Speaks 2011

Each year at the end of July several hundred women descend upon Charlotte, North Carolina, to attend the She Speaks conference hosted by Proverbss 31 Ministries.  This event is jam-packed full of learning sessions and good times both.  With special sessions geared towards writers, speakers, and ministry leaders, the conference is designed both to renew and educate women to be effective in their specific calling.  For more information about She Speaks 2011, check out the conference website.  Registration is happening now, and seats always sell out!

Why do I want to go to She Speaks?  Well ....

A few years ago, right after starting a new job (for which I was certified and credentialed but had just barely found my niche) my husband asked me to inquire about another one.  In an attempt to be an obedient wife, I dutifully asked about the position, but made it clear that I was not really interested in anything more than gaining the information.  I didn't want to rock my comfy little boat, and after seeing how much I did not want a change, my husband agreed to let me drop the whole thing.

Six months later found me still happy in my little boat, but that other position had changed.  With a new job description and double the hours, responsibility, and pay, my husband asked me to inquire about it again; I still only went through the motions.

But this time something different happened.

After really listening to my husband's reasons for wanting me to look into this position, I began to pray about it.

For the next five days, God answered.

Like Moses before the burning bush, for each job responsibility I listed why I could not possibly do this job.  Me?  Who am I?

And the following day, something would fall into my lap making it clear that while I, perhaps, couldn't .... HE could.

How could I make that kind of schedule work?  The next day I won a Christian mom's organizational planner from Marybeth Whalen.  It quickly arrived in the mail.

Who was I to hold that kind of position?  The next day I read a blog post about God equipping the called.  

For five days God answered every one of my concerns until I just looked up at the night sky and said, "I'm here.  I'm Yours."

I applied for the job and did my best - but in the end, the job search committee chose someone else, and I learned a valuable lesson:  Obey.  Always.  Immediately.  As someone at Bible study said last year, "Delayed obedience is nothing more than disobedience."

What would have happened if I had obeyed and applied for that job right away?  I'll never know.  Maybe He only wanted me to be willing.  Maybe He had some grand plan that I couldn't see and so dismissed.  I don't know, but I don't want to let my own stubbornness get in the way of what God wants for me again.  I seem to be in a season of waiting and learning right now.  I'm not sure what God has in store next, but when He calls, I want to be ready to leave the wilderness and follow Him.

That's why I want to go to She Speaks.  The opportunities to learn about following after Jesus and knowing Him completely seem endless there, as well as learning the nitty-gritty how-tos.  For the first time in five years, there isn't a family commitment on the calendar for that July weekend.  I would love to get out my colored, scented, happy markers and  write in, "She Speaks."

Want to know more about the current scholarship opportunities for She Speaks 2011?  Go here to find out more!

1 comment:

  1. I pray He makes a way where He's opened a door... or a spot on the calendar! I hope to see you there, too.

    I love the quote, "Delayed obedience is nothing more than disobedience."

    I always tell my kids that and I pray I can always model it.

    ReplyDelete