Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Grandma's Peach Pudding


We often visited my great-grandparents on the family farm on Saturday mornings when I was a kid, and if Grandma had her way, she'd 'twist our arms' into staying for lunch.  It was much more of a hardship on her part than ours as she was a fantastic cook.

Grandma always had something to offer for dessert, but I remember being very confused when she said we were having peach pudding.  I could only picture the vanilla or chocolate variety that came from a boxed mix, so when she served this fruit-and-cake concoction, I was hooked!

Grandma served her pudding with ice cream or farm-fresh milk poured over top, with maybe a sprinkle of extra sugar.  Either way, this is a delicious and different use for summer peaches!


We had to make some last night ...


the kids were so excited that they even ate the peelings from the peaches!

To make the real thing, here's what you need:

Ingredients:
1 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
1 egg
1/3 c. milk
1 t. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. shortening

Cover the bottom of a baking dish 1"-2" deep with sliced peaches (in the above small dish, I used four large peaches).  Sprinkle with sugar and drizzle a bit of water over the top.  Then mix all above ingredients to make a batter and pour over the top of the peaches.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Serve with ice-cold milk or a scoop of ice cream.  :-)


Yum!

Grandma eventually showed me how to make it, and I remember watching her hands as she showed me how it was done.  Last night my Big Helper and I made this together.  I hope that someday she can show her own little ones!



2 comments:

  1. I've never tried peach pudding! But it looks good. I love watching kids cook--and eat--in the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids love to help in the kitchen! It can be a bit messy, but it sure is fun - and I love that they're learning how to care for their future families, too.

    ReplyDelete