Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Monday, January 23, 2012

GratiTuesday - A Friend's Call


Have you ever had one of those days where everything just feels crazy – where it seems as if you just can’t possibly do one more thing or handle one more piece of stressful news?

That’s how today has felt to me.

There were good things happening; I knew there was, but they seemed to be far away.  Kind of like the opposite of looking through rose-colored lenses, I think mine were midnight blue.

The things happening lately just weren’t of the run-of-the-mill variety, and while nobody was losing an arm or some such thing, these aren’t normal times.

  • One grandmother had eye surgery.
  • The other grandmother had corrective heart stuff procedures.
  • A friend’s husband had preventative medical tests.
  • The famous Joe Paterno died.  That may seem unconnected in light of the other things, but anytime some dies, it just casts a pall.  With the recent death of my teacher and JoePa’s legendary status (I’ve watched him coach; I’ve studied in his library; I’ve eaten his Peachy Paterno ice cream; the list goes on), it’s definitely an Event for this central PA girl.
  • Four years ago today, my grandfather died.  Having all of these other things happen TODAY has made them harder, I think.
 I think I gave new personal meaning to the term ‘pray without ceasing’ today.  Having a family birthday to celebrate almost made all the rest harder, and this evening felt a bit crazy.

Until the phone rang, and a friend called.

She didn’t know that any of this was happening.  She didn’t know that I’m quite stressed over this week’s birthday celebration (for which plans are finally coming together) or that I’m working a record number of days this week, making regular chores and school times difficult.

She just called with an invitation and to catch up a bit, and it was perfect.

Friend time was exactly what I needed, and my gloomy lenses were replaced with the proper rosy lenses.

Now I can see clearly all the good things that God has been providing:
  • Successful procedures for both grandmothers.  Yay!
  • A second chance at some pictures I’d like to take.
  • The kids worked together to make a banner for one of the grandmothers.  My Little Man colored and drew dinosaurs and snowmen on it the whole time.  They may have been blue snowmen, but still … that’s dedication for him.
  • My husband did the dishes for me – the second time this week!  AND he unloaded the dishwasher.  That is not my favorite chore.
  • This is our last week of work – hooray!  Our time will be our own again starting next week.
  • I won a bloggy giveaway today.  Isn’t it so fun to win something?

Catching up with my friend tonight was wonderful.  I need to be more intentional about setting aside time for friends – tonight she had perfect timing.

Thanks, Danielle!

For more GratiTuesday, visit Heavenly Homemakers!

PS - I'm giving away some really great books this week!  You can check them out and enter to win here and here.

1 comment:

  1. So glad that this friend's call cheered you up! It's neat to see how God uses people and His perfect timing to encourage us just when we need it.

    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete