Sometimes it's just too hot to cook.
While the temps haven't really soared yet, it definitely feels hotter here in the Carolinas than it did just last week. The humidity level has shot up and we've had lots of outdoor commitments - and most of them have been all day and in the sun. I feel as if I've spent the past week in a sauna.
So when it came time to cook dinner, I really didn't want anything warm. Something simple and cool but filling and fun seemed right, and so My Big Helper and I made this Layered Nacho Taco Salad.
We ended up with a spicy and (mostly) healthy salad that had some fun crunch, too.
Here's how to make it:
- 1 lb. ground meat - chicken, turkey, or beef (in the picture above, I used chicken)
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 t. cumin
- 1 t. ground black pepper
- 1/4 t. ground red pepper
- 1 c. shredded Monterey Jack and Colby Jack blend
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce
- 1-2 tomatoes
- 1 small cucumber
- carrots to suit, sliced
- Salad dressing - Catalina or Chipotle Ranch are great
- 1 bag of Nacho Doritos
- Combine the meat, onion, and bell pepper in a skillet with the Worcestershire sauce.
- Brown until cooked through.
- Drain as necessary.
- Add seasonings and stir well.
- Remove from heat.
- Assemble the salad veggies on plates.
- Place a layer of Doritos on top of the veggies. Top that with cheese and then with the meat mixture.
- Crown the whole salad with tomatoes and your favorite salad dressing.
What's your go-to meal when the temperatures rise??