Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Journey from a Potato to a Nut

I wrote back here about my desire to become  more physically fit.  Of course, in order for that to happen, one must exercise.

And there's the rub:  I'm not a huge fan of exercise, but it is getting easier, and there are a few things really egging me on.

First of all, I've lost a few pounds.  Seeing smaller numbers on the scale is always a motivator, isn't it? ;-)  I haven't lost that much, but I'm halfway to my goal; and best of all, my husband has started calling me 'Skinny' again.  Trust me, I'm not, but it's nice to have my effort recognized, and it helps to keep me focused on my goal.

Secondly, a few of us have formed an e-accountability group.  Actually, we've got two groups going now, and so if you want in, I'll see what I can do.  Here's how it works:  we each choose our exercise and commit to doing that Monday through Friday.  Then, each day after exercising, we email the other women in our group.  So far, the thought of having to admit to not exercising has gotten me up and moving several times.  Thanks, ladies!

I've also downloaded a free app for my Nook called LoseIt.com (it's also a website that's free, so you don't need an e-reader).  I'm having fun with this!  Basically, it's a calorie calculator.  You can set your own goals and then update each day with what you've eaten and how much you've moved.  You don't have to count anything, but just click a few times, and it figures out everything.  While I'm not really trying to go by the numbers, seeing the wide variety of activities that LoseIt counts as exercise has been informative - and it's fun to enter how long I did yardwork or cleaned the house and see those calories get added back to how many I can eat that day.  You can have friends through this site, too, so if you're on there, I'd love to get to know you!

So while I'm definitely not an exercise nut yet, maybe I've lost a bit of my starch and am on my way there.  

1 comment:

  1. I need to look into LoseIt! I'm doing OK with the exercise, but need to see what my calorie count really looks like. I'm notorious for eyeballing servings, and I do have a generous "eyeball!"

    ReplyDelete