Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Semi-Homemade Baked Corn Dogs


Earlier this week someone asked me how I make our semi-homemade baked corn dogs.  These are so simple it's funny, but since you asked, I'm happy to share.

We don't eat hot dogs in any form very often, but the kids love them, and this makes a fun change from your typical dog-in-a-bun.  Besides - cornbread just tastes yummy!

So, to make your own baked corn dogs, you'll need:

  • 4 hot dogs
  • 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
  • 1/3 c. milk
  • 1 egg
To make your corn dogs:
  1. Throw your hot dogs on a baking sheet to heat.  The idea is just to get them hot so that they are ready with their corn muffin clothing is baked.
  2. Mix your Jiffy muffins.  Add the egg and milk to the mix in a small bowl and stir.
  3. Dip the hot dogs into the mix one at a time to coat.  I don't think it's possible to give them a thin coating, which makes my kids happy, hence the lumpy mess you see above - but it's tasty.
  4. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
I've made these other ways, too, depending on what's going on, so here are a few other ideas:
  • After mixing your muffins, put a spoonful into each well of a mini loaf pan.  Cut each hot dog in half and push it into the muffin mix.  Bake as directed above.
  • Mix muffins and coat hot dogs as directed above.  Place each hot dog into it's own piece of foil, sprayed to prevent sticking, and fold to prevent air from escaping.  Bake on a top rack on a grill, checking periodically to prevent burning.
Of course, if you have a corn bread recipe you just love, I'm sure that would work, too.  I haven't found a great one yet - so feel free to pass yours along!


1 comment:

  1. My kids still love corndogs. I may have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete