Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

GratiTuesday - A Child's Joy


My kids are pretty different.

One is quieter (sometimes), more likely to notice subtle changes in someone's mood, more often taking to his room in the search for "lonely time," as he calls it, being recharged by downtime and solitude.

I understand that.  I'm that way, too.  I love plans and busyness and excitement, but for me it needs to be tempered by some time with a good book and the absence of anything louder than a cricket.

My Big Helper, on the other hand, is the exact opposite.

While she likes to snuggle in and read together, and now begins each day in bed with her favorite book-of-the-moment, she thrives on friends, plans, projects, and a (un)healthy helping of dessert.

Can't say that I blame her for that last one.  ;-)

Watching her face light up each time she encounters something that she finds totally thrilling, often when I'm more than ready for the next chapter in my current book, often reminds me that time is fleeting.  That she'll only be little once, and certainly not for long.  That no matter how tired or busy or crazy life is, it's only once - and I want to make the most of it.

That God has placed reasons for joy all around us, if only we'll open our eyes to see them.


Last week we visited our favorite pool with friends, and I was finally able to snap a picture of My Big Helper flying off the water slide.  Unlike when we started going there, she no longer needs me to catch her as she hits the water, making it possible for me to hold the camera.

This is the look and the attitude that I imagine Jesus hopes to see on our faces.  He's given us so many gifts - and this particular blond one is a great reminder to keep my eyes wide open so that I don't miss a single one.

What are you grateful for today?

For more GratiTuesday, visit Heavenly Homemakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment