Striving to create a home strong in the foundations of love, respect, and God's truths ...

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Apple Pie Enchiladas


A few days ago I was thinking about all the things I'd like to do with a few bushels of apples - but I only had two Granny Smiths in the fridge.  After thinking over my options and our need for a quick, yummy breakfast, I came up with this dish.

The kids and I loved the cinnamon sugar snowflakes we made out of tortillas last winter, and crepes stuffed with cinnamon apples make a great treat, so I combined the two to get these breakfast enchiladas.  They're quick and healthy but "fancy" enough for company, too.

So here's how to make your own Apple Pie Enchiladas:

Ingredients:
  • 2 Granny Smith apples
  • 2 T. honey
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 3 T. butter, softened & divided
  • 1 1/2 t. cinnamon-sugar mixture
  • 2 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
  • 1 t. cinnamon
To make your enchiladas:
  1. Peel and slice your apples into thin pieces.
  2. Place them in a small frying pan with the cinnamon, honey, and half of the butter.
  3. Saute the apples over medium heat until they are caramelized and cooked through.
  4. Spread a thin layer of the remaining butter over the tortillas.
  5. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the tortillas.  I keep a shaker of this in my cupboard, and I don't measure how to make it.  Just mix a few teaspoons of cinnamon with a few tablespoons of sugar until it's a happy soft brown color.  
  6. Place half the apples into a tortilla.  Roll the tortilla up and place it in a baking dish. Repeat with the second tortilla.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until tortilla begins to get crispy.  Watch carefully - you don't want it to burn!
  8. Enjoy plain or with whipped cream.  This would be a super fun dessert with ice cream, too, and lots simpler than making an apple pie - though those are fun, too.
What's your favorite way to eat an apple?


No comments:

Post a Comment