Sometimes, you just need something that's quick and easy.
That's this dish. It's perfect for those days when you're going to be in and out or just all around busy and don't have time to mess around in the kitchen but still want to serve your family a yummy, healthy dinner.
It can even be made as a freezer meal - just pop the ingredients into a large zip-top bag and freeze. On the morning of the day you want to serve it, just dump the entire contents of the bag into the slow cooker and let it go to town. When life gets crazy, I love dinners that cook themselves!
When I put this in front of My Little Man, having not cooked this in a while, he looked at me rather skeptically. Then he tried it - and the next thing I knew, his bowl was empty. He said that he especially liked the chicken. For my veggie-lovin' man, that's saying a lot!
So here's how to make your own Caribbean Chicken and Veggies in a slow cooker:
- 1 lb. chicken tenders
- 1 c. diced pineapple and accompanying juice
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 3/4 c. Caribbean-style marinade
- 2 c. black beans
- 1 lb. broccoli, cleaned
- Combine chicken, pineapple, onion, pepper, and marinade in a slow cooker.
- Cook at low heat for 4-5 hours or until nearly finished.
- Add black beans and broccoli to the slow cooker.
- Cook for another hour or until broccoli is tender.
- Serve over rice.
What's your favorite kind of no-fuss meal?