Recently I saw a recipe on Pinterest for chocolate pancakes. Since chocolate is rather, ahem, extra exciting to me at the moment, I Pinned it to make later. When I came back to find it, however, the recipe was gone - and so the kids and I got a bit creative.
What we came up with is a pretty healthy pancake batter - with white wheat flour, honey, eggs, and milk - that is thick and smells exactly like a chocolate whoopie pie. The batter is thick and looks like whoopie pie batter. It fries up thick like a whoopie pie, although it doesn't round on top - but if you like those old-fashioned treats, then these are the pancakes for you.
We ate our Chocolate Whoopie Pie Pancakes with fresh strawberries on top. The only thing that might've made these better is whipped cream - I'll definitely have some on hand when we make these again (and that will be soon).
Pancakes are serious business in our family, and so My Little Man layered strawberries on top of one pancake and then smushed another on top of the berries. He picked up the whole thing like a sandwich and went to town.
Our Big Helper went for the open-faced approach and downed hers this way. After the first bite, she asked if I'd make another batch.
I love knowing that something we've made makes somebody happy. :-)
So if you want to make your own Chocolate Whoopie Pie Pancakes, here's what you need:
- 1 3/4 c. white-wheat flour
- 1 1/4 c. buttermilk
- 2 t. baking powder
- 2 t. baking soda
- 3 T. honey
- 1/4 c. unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. salt
- 4 T. melted butter
To make your pancakes,
- Preheat your griddle to 300 degrees F.
- Stir all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Allow mixture to sit for 5-10 minutes until bubbles begin to form.
- Fry on buttered grill, flipping when top appears dry and bubbles have appeared.
- Cook second side for another 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve with fresh fruit, chocolate sauce, or whipped cream.
What's your favorite way to eat pancakes??